Thursday, June 19, 2008

scientific beard










I have been thinking about my lack of beard lately.

For 4 years I always thought people treated me differently because of its presence. Since I shaved it off two weeks ago, I no longer think it a factor on how people act toward me. Sure, I am ID'd more often. And when I tell people my name they no longer assume I am jewish, amish, or occasionally, and baffling, buddhist (true story).

But really, in a city where you can't swing an unnecessary scarf without hitting another unnecessary scarf and a beard, there is no tangible difference in how people perceive your lack of facial hair against a clean, shaven face.

Without a beard I now feel liberated like the probable-guy in ZZ-Top that probably thought the hirsute shtick was bullshit.

The picture above was drawn by my friend Bridget, who is admirable enough not to have a myspace page. And after an eight-year friendship I have no idea how to spell her first or last name correctly. She is an honest-to-god scientist. That is the type of profession I need to add to my "Who'd I like to Meet" on myspace section.

UPDATE: "Who'd I like to meet" updated.

No comments: